Code of Conduct – Expectations
Students who cannot attend a scheduled group class must telephone the Conservatory office within 24 hours advance. A maximum of three (3) private music lessons per academic year, are allowed to be cancelled if 24 hours advance notice is given directly to HCA administration. The make-up lesson must be confirmed by HCA administration, and they will reschedule the missed lesson within the term.
- Students are expected to be punctual. It is wise to arrive ten minutes in advance of the start of the lesson / class. A student arriving more than 10 minutes late for class will be allowed to observe that class but not participate. A student who is late for a private lesson will have that lesson end at the appointed time and no later.
- Students should come to class mentally and physically prepared and fit for class. Any medical problem or previous injury, which might cause difficulty in fulfilling the objectives of the class, must be reported to the teacher BEFORE the class begins.
- Students should bring needed materials, instruments, music, etc., to lessons. Dance students must follow prescribed dress code for classes.
- Students must speak courteously to teachers, staff and to each other and treat Conservatory property with care and respect.
- Registered HCA students may not take part in public performances or exhibitions using the Conservatory name without written permission from the Artistic Director. Students must not participate in events that might tarnish the reputation of the Conservatory.
- In order to maintain a healthy and productive atmosphere, students and parents are requested not to gossip or make negative remarks about any member(s) of the Conservatory community.
- Young students must wait in the Conservatory reception area to be picked up after lessons. They are not, under any circumstances, to leave the building without a parent, guardian, or other escort designated by the parent or guardian.
Parents are asked to uphold the Code of Conduct and to set a good example. The HCA reserves the right to expel any student who violates the Code of Conduct or who participates in any activity that might reflect unfavourably on the Conservatory. Fees will not be refunded if a student is expelled. Remaining post-dated cheques on file will be returned only.
A non-refundable annual registration fee of $25 per student, $40 per family, is payable at the time of registration. The Conservatory only registers a student after acceptance of the registration form, registration fee, and payment for classes. A confirmation slip will be issued when full payment from the method of payment options is received.
Payment of Tuition Fees:
All fees are payable in advance. All cheques should be made out to The Hamilton Conservatory for the Arts. GST is applicable and extra on all class and lesson fees for all faculties except Music. Discounts~ 5% for second child or 10% for third child (does not apply to music)
Students wishing to participate in the Year End Recital are encouraged to pay their costumes fees at the time of registration. Any outstanding fees are due the 2nd week of November. No refunds after Christmas Break.
Students wishing to participate in exams are encouraged to pay their fees at the time of registration. Any outstanding fees are due the 2nd week of Feb No refunds are given unless students are advised by their teacher not to take the exam.
A surcharge of $25 will apply for any NSF cheques and the student will automatically be withdrawn from the course or lessons until the account is paid in full.
Cancellation of Classes:
One-week advance notice of cancellation is required. All cancellations must be directed to HCA administration. If cancellation is not given to
administration prior to the deposit of the cheque, that amount will not be refunded. Any post-dated cheques on file will be returned.
Methods of Payment:
Any additional classes added after June 30 will be subject to the new year’s class rates. Please note that if this option is chosen, and a student wishes to cancel lessons, the first payment is non-refundable. All post-dated cheques will be returned.
Session (Term) Installments
Full Year Installment
Please note: Our school year is based on 36 working weeks from September to June. Dance students not participating in the Year End Recital will be registered until mid May.
– Registration fee plus full tuition fees for the year on one cheque post-dated no later than the first day of the class. – First payment, which includes registration fee and Fall term installment fees in one cheque, plus 2 post-dated cheques dated for the beginning of each term. (December & March) – First payment, which includes registration fee and September installment fees in one cheque, plus 9 post-dated cheques dated for the first of each month from October to June inclusive. – DISCOUNT FOR RETURNING HCA STUDENTS: Registration will be accepted until June 30 for returning HCA students only. First payment, which includes registration fee and September installment fees, along with 9 post-dated cheques dated for the first day of each month from October – June inclusive, will guarantee your spot on the following year’s student list. LAST YEAR’S FEES will be applied and the students will save on the yearly increase of class fees.
- Regular attendance of classes and / or private lessons is expected. Frequent missing of classes without serious cause is not acceptable. It indicates a lack of enthusiasm and an absence of commitment to one’s own development. It also shows a lack of consideration for the other students and for the teacher.